Research is carried out in four areas:
- - Pilot studies
- One or more urban regions will be selected for pilot studies. The pilot studies will include regional seismic hazard assessments, inventory development, and regional simulations to gauge seismic risk posed by older concrete buildings and the effects of various mitigation strategies
- - Laboratory and field tests
- Laboratory tests are planned on older-type existing columns, retrofitted columns, beam-column connections, and shaking table specimens. Field tests on a simplified wall-frame system will examine soil-structure-foundation interaction and floor system membrane effects.
- - Modeling and simulation tools
- Laboratory and field tests will lead to improved engineering models and simulation capabilities. Capabilities developed will contribute to improved engineering practices and better simulations for the pilot urban region studies.
- - Mitigation strategy development
- Working with focus groups and testing concepts through the pilot studies, a series of public policy alternatives will be developed.